Chicken Balmoral is one of our favourite haggis recipes.
Yet sometimes it takes a little nudge to remind us of why we like it so much. Today we owe our thanks to Stuart, who contacted us to say,
“We were given one of your haggis by a friend and rather than eat it as a meal we put a slice into a chicken breast, both bashed out, and then wrapped it in streaky bacon and served it with whiskey and cream sauce. Delicious!!! Try this on your website”
So for you, here is our take on the modern haggis dish – Balmoral Chicken, served with seasonal vegetables.
You will need:
4 skinless chicken breasts, whole
1 Macsween Haggis
16 rashers smoked bacon
30ml Rapeseed oil
Maldon sea salt and black pepper to taste
200g Scottish whisky cream sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 180c.
- Lay the chicken breasts flat on a chopping board with the inner fillet showing and the smooth side down.
- Fold back the inner fillet, keeping it attached.
- Make an incision down the opposite side to make a pocket.
- Open the packet of microwavable haggis and cut both slices in half, leaving you with 4 pieces and mould them into a sausage shape.
- Season the chicken and fill the incision with the haggis, fold in the chicken fillet, wrap in prosciutto and chill.
- Heat the oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan, sear the chicken breasts presentation side down first, then flip them over after approx. 4 minutes and sear on the other side.
- Transfer to the oven for 18-20 minutes until cooked through & piping hot.
- Heat the whisky cream sauce according to the instructions on the pack and cook your chosen vegetables.Heat the chosen vegetables, reserve hot.
Arrange the vegetables on the plates
Slice the chicken through the centre on an angle
Arrange on the plates
Drizzle over the sauce and serve.
Updated: January 2019